By Camille Severino
Pumpkins are a staple of the season. Whether you like yours in a pie, soup or carved up with a candle inside, it’s hard to deny pumpkins accompany most events in autumn. Here is a list of pumpkin patches in Cook County I found at http://www.PumpkinPatchesAndMore.org/index.php (PPAM).
1. The Chicago Park District. The Chicago Park District pumpkin patches will be located in different parks all over the city every weekend in October leading up to Halloween weekend. Prices vary from park to park with the most expensive at $10 and the least expensive free. These city farms for the day have activities like picking your personal favorite pumpkin, pony rides, pumpkin decorating, and petting zoos. These activities vary from park to park.
2. The Children’s Farm at The Center. According to PPAM, this patch minimizes chemical and pesticide use. Checking out their website, which is linked to the PPAM website, I found that Pumpkin Days at the Children’s Farm offers free admission to their Pick-your-own Pumpkin Patch. They also host a Pumpkin Playland that offers a “fall-themed, farm experience for children and adults.” Admission to the Pumpkin Playland is $7.
3. Delair’s Cornstalk Farm. This farm is located in Orland Park. Their pumpkin patches are available until late October. At Delair’s you will find a haunted corn maze, craft barn, homemade jellies, custom made painted pumpkins, and apples and gourds.
4. Forest View Farms. This Tinley Park pumpkin patch is open until October 30th. Admission to roam the patch is $5 per person. That includes the petting farm and hayride to the pumpkin patch. Pony rides and other activities are available as well for an additional fee.
5. Goebbert’s Farm & Garden Center. “Pumpkins, gourds, fall decorations, apple cider, donuts, pies, apples, caramel apples, fudge, pony rides, camel rides, zoo, wagon rides AND a haunted house.” Who wouldn’t want to go there? Located in South Barrington Goebbert’s is a short ride for a great day with the family.
6. Puckerville Farms. This farm’s activities include carving and giant pumpkins including “blue, white, and Cinderella types.” Hay ride and bonfire packages available as well.